Thursday, April 17, 2008

Frozen, Jammed, Wedged...Stuck

I'm stuck...I'm nearly done with a dress but can't quite close the deal. Turns out I lengthened it too much in the torso and I chose a size too big for my shoulders. Which is truly surprising because nothing is ever too large in the shoulders for me. The second half of the problem is I'm not sure I like it. I know, and the sad thing is it's not the first time.

In order to fix the shoulders on the darn thing I need a dress form, one of which I don't have and don't wish to spend $100 or more for. I've seen instructions for duct tape forms on the net...I wonder, do they really work out? The problem with too much length was an easy fix. There are 6 folds/gathers on each side of the dress and 13 in the back, I just ripped out 2 inches of stitches and voila! Length problem solved. I had to close up the arm openings about an inch so the old boulder-holder doesn't show.

And then there's the buttonholes...all 10 of them. I dread the buttonholes. Half of them will turn out great, picture worthy, and the other half? Well, the other half will be ugly. Needless to say, these will be the ones that I'll focus on and pick at. Threads, the May 2008 issue has a few tips that give me renewed hopes of learning to make decent buttonholes. It's always been hit or miss for me, maybe someday I'll figure out the variable and make it a constant.

No comments:

Post a Comment