Saturday, April 26, 2008

The One That Got Away...

Many moons ago, when I first started eBay-ing, I realized I was sitting on a potential gold-mine: I had boxes (and boxes) of stuff my kids had outgrown stored in the garage. I promised the hubba-bubba that giving up valuable real estate in his garage wouldn't all be for naught. It was spring and the weather outside was beautiful so the garage wasn't unbearably hot yet. Everything was sorted into the appropriate boxes and labeled. I thought "How hard can this be?" Just a wash, dry, press and picture and we're in business. Au contraire, mon amie. Thank goodness the man loves me enough not to point out that those boxes were still there 6 months later when he was looking for the snow shovel.

Along the way I've gotten smarter when bidding on things on eBay. You learn to read between the lines and ask questions and NEVER assume anything about an item. There are 2 things I did win that I let get away because I didn't have the vision to realize what I had.

One was a short satin red trench coat. Not burgundy, nor maroon, but RED, the color of tomatoes fresh out of the garden. It was "Look at me" red. This trench would have been perfect for a night out to someplace fancy, or a wedding. I just never got up the nerve to wear it

The other was a purple wool pea coat that was too big for me. Here is where the lack of vision comes in...just a little tailoring and it would have been a very snappy piece to add to my wardrobe. Sadly, both went to the thrift store.

I finally made it to the selling phase of eBay-ing. Everthing that I've bought in the last month or so that didn't suit me has been sold. I'm not making any money on the items - just making back the money I spent...mostly. It's better than sending them to the thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment