Saturday, May 17, 2008

Turtles, Birds and Boats

Today was a dandy day thanks to the Bubba. We started the day thrifting on post; I found a few things to refashion...hopefully. A blouse for Nicci, a dress for the fabric and a scarf. Never having travelled this route before, I'll photograph the "befores" just in case there are "afters".

We ate lunch, I bought a hula-hoop (supposed to be good for burning fat) then strolled around the BOSS lot looking at campers, boats and trailers. We spotted a pair of turtles on the way off post, I said "Turn back!", not expecting him to turn the truck around because I always say "Go back" or "Let's stop" and he rarely does, but he did this time. In his defense, most times its either impractical or clearly dangerous to stop or turn around. He's such a good guy, good to me. I got a few pictures of the big one to send to the kids.

Then we picked up our electric pontoon boat, took it home to charge it up and exchanged it for the kayaks. We took them into the Occoquan and Bubba fished while I floated and paddled. We saw so many herons, they look like pterodactyls with their feet hanging behind them. I wish I were brave enough to take a camera out there. I've yet to turn the kayak over but with the kind of luck I have it would be sure to happen with a camera on board.

We ended the day with a fresh pot of coffee on the deck watching doves hop in and out of the gutters on the garage. Its amazing how many different species of birds you can find in one small lightly wooded area. We have robins, cardinals, blue jays, doves, a giant hawk (no joke - there's a short anecdote here for later) and some small bird with a feather that sticks up on its head.
All in all a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment