Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Butterick 5181

Originally I wanted a maxi dress like this one at JCrew. But didn't want to shell out $450 for a sundress, no matter how cute. After looking high and low for a pattern to make my own, settled on Butterick 5181. I've mentioned before that the Hancock Fabrics in my town closed but before it did it sold everything right down to the fixtures. I added several different lengths of fabric to my stash to include an orange plaid seersucker.

I made the maxi with narrow straps, view D...the kids voted to shorten it (they're not fans of the maxi dress). So I shortened it to the knee and it totally changed how I felt about it....I hated it. The skirt seemed very stiff and looked bulky at the waist. Darling Daughter wanted one like it so I lopped off another 6", shortened the straps and tacked the front and gave it to her.

Here's the dress on a hanger...pics of Daughter wearing it coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment