Thursday, April 16, 2009

Simplicity 3833...Finished!!

As long as I've been sewing, about 30 years or so, I've never been more satisfied with a completed project. The process of sewing with a muslin, and the resulting garment that fits so well, is abundantly gratifying. I actually did a twirlly-girlie dance for my husband after he zipped me up :o)

From now on I'm using a muslin for everything but simple knits. When I started, the intention was to use the organza for Hong Kong seams. But once it was on a few seams I changed my mind. It was too stiff and a bit scratchy feeling. So off came the organza and on went a very pale yellow, light weight cotton. The difference was wonderful and the inside of the dress is actually pretty good looking!

The only real problem I encountered was facing pieces that didn't fit properly...I almost paniced. When I adjusted the bodice pieces I failed to adjust the corresponding facing pieces. Not to worry though, there was enough seam allowance to make it happen.

I've worn it to work and to a college graduation ceremony and received many compliments each time.

No comments:

Post a Comment