Sunday, April 26, 2009

Simplicity 5112

The Pattern:


The Fabric:




The Dresses:





I've made this dress two previous times, one in a brown Hawaiian print and another in smooth cotton that had a little stretch - white background, red flowers, black ribbon trim (not original but still very cute) The only adjustments I made this time was swayback adjustment and I cut a mile off the length.

The second fabric (abstract print) is a medium weight polished cotton with stretch. I was under the gun to get it all done in one day while not neglecting the visiting, meal times and general family loving. Since I had just completed this dress in the raspberry cotton I thought "Easy-peasy..I'll just whip this bad-boy together in no time." How wrong I was.

First - Don't sew under the gun if you can help it. Would it have been terrible for the DD to go home with "only" one dress? Absolutely not. But (always a but), I wanted to make her really happy.

Second - that fabric stretches. Don't skip the staystitching (I did). I ended up taking it in an inch on each underarm seam....after it was all together AND seams serged. ARRRGGGHHHHHH! It was quite a challenge.

Third - Always get a picture before the recipient has worn the dress all day and ended up sleeping in it (too tired to get into pjs - I told you it was a busy weekend!)

She loved both dresses. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment